Re: Lexmark printer

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux <at> gmail.com> writes:

> You would be happy to know on GNU/linux, they are the printer
> manufacturer of choice now. :)
>
> "... There is one printer manufacturer though that as of last year has
> begun supporting Linux from top to bottom with their entire line-up of
> printers. Not only are they providing CUPS drivers, but also they are
> even printing Tux in the corner of every box they ship right besides
> the Windows and Apple logos. Do you know who we are talking about?
> Probably not, but it's Lexmark. After months of wrangling within the
> company, Lexmark has stepped up to become a Linux and open-source
> friendly company."
>
> <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=lexmark_linux&num=1>

They've provided Linux drivers for a long time, but they only maintain them as
long as they're selling the corresponding printer.  I have a Lexmark Z22 printer
that gradually became unusable for this reason.  I replaced it with a Samsung
laser printer with built-in Fedora driver support.  Unless Lexmark open-sources
its drivers, their printers aren't worth the trouble.