Re: after upgrade to f12

On 04/20/2010 06:09 AM, terry wrote:
> i upgrade on a dell b1110 that has f10 for awhile , then f11. using the
> upgrade to f12 cd from the fedora site. i had trouble with the screen
> last night but seems to have mysteriously disappered over night. one
> caveat left with  me was the need to update after rebooting. no such
> thing. nothing to update. using yum update gets this .....  libss.so.8
> cannot open shared object file, something about python 2.6.2 and gcc
> 4.4.1.      rpm -i libssl.so.8 gets me ...opening failed.
> a trip to duke edu says things about this problem not being an error
> with the lib but something to do with python.
> their suggestion to type python and at the prompt type... import yum.
> then the error message is libssl.so.8.
> trying yum, rpm and the gui for updates leaves me with the feeling i do
> not have a way to update.  Any suggestions?

I had similar problem with both Fedora 12 and 13.
I believe it's a problem with a file that is part of the standard
upgrade process and occurs after the kernel is updated first time.
I gave up on Fedora 12 and reinstalled Fedora 13, manually yum installed
files as they were requested for each application I installed, rebooted
and tried each app. There were no indicative or helpful reports in the
error logs.
The Fedora 13 iso reported python errors on installation but since
updating and upgrading a bit at a time the problem seems to have gone,
It reported python script errors but after updating python last thing,
that seems to have gone away.
With F13 but there is a printing problem with some printers but
otherwise it's fine,  it runs Scribus, Blender, gimp and other apps
More testing as time permits.
Roger