Re: Clamav

On 04/18/2010 12:53 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-04-18 at 12:37 -0700, Michael Miles wrote:
>
>> One other weird thing i forgot to mention.
>>
>> I install xp via wine 2 months ago.
>> Have not touched it since.
>>
>> Started scanning just to see a week ago.
>>
>> The files that were renamed by the virus were done two days ago,
>> according to time stamps.
>>
>> So this thing sat dormant until I started looking for them and that
>> is
>> when it attacked.
>>
>> Now that's wild
>>
> ----
> from your description it sounds as if the other AV program identified
> and renamed the files - whether it is a real positive or a false
> positive is probably debatable.
>
> Sometimes I think the Windows AV products like to 'find' things to
> demonstrate that they are working and have some value.
>
> Craig

No, I did not do any action from Avira when they were found because that
is what I assumed they were, false positive.

Maybe Clamav did automatically but there was no notification and Clamav
reported no virus at all so I would have to discount it.

I do think the virus renamed files

The only thing Clamav caught was the test virus that comes with it.

I removed wine and virtual box installations and re ran the scan.

Clean as a whistle