Re: Clamav

> On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 12:22 -0700, Michael Miles wrote:
>
>> I have removed all and I will wait for proper instruction as I really
>> do not know enough about this OS
>>
> Given that you say so yourself, the logical question is "why do you need
> Clamav"? Clamav is usually installed by people running mail servers for
> users who access them from Windows.
Where is the proof that an AV is not needed for Linux sans w-dozs,
regardless of the pathways to infection?  ClamAV is not just for
email-servers but for scanning infected drives.  The effectiveness
of virus detection is only as good as the design and the latest virus
database, and even then, there is no guarantee against newly created
viruses and its variants, and one could argue "damned if you do, damned
if you don't", but I could argue 'Tis better to reduce the chances of
infection,
than none at all'?
> If all you're doing is reading mail in Linux, it's extremely unlikely
> that you even need it. In 35 years of using first Unix and then Linux,
> I have yet to see a single virus that wasn't a proof-of-concept demo.

Again, experiences makes proof, not.  I prefer the data, please.
> po

I have a fully installed, F-12 w/ SELinux including clamav,
spamassassin and it has found several rejected virus infected
incoming email messages. If I get one again, I will be happy to
post what the viruses are, as I just don't remember.  Most of my
viruses are coming from overseas, mostly cn and ru and via
incoming email, not visited websites.  We are talking about AV,
not malware or other modes of attacks.

As far as I know, clamav has not detected any infected local
files but of course that does not mean there are NO viruses,
just undetected ones, if any.

And no, I do not run doz via wine nor virtualbox, on this Linux email
system and it has a separate public IP address apart from another
email system, (W-doz) exchange, again on a separate public IP address.
Neither one of these email servers, 'talks' to one or another, nor
overlaps, they are mutually exclusive.  It is interesting to watch
which of the two are infected and which is not.

FWIW,
Dan