Re: authentication problem

On 04/15/2010 11:49 AM, Rick Sewill wrote:

> On 04/15/2010 11:51 AM, jack craig wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I have an authentication issue with ssh that i'd like to ask for clues
>> on solving?
>>
>> i have created a local host key, id_rsa.pub.
>>
>> i have copied that to the remote host, .ssh/authorized_keys,
>> and checked the perms for both ~/.ssh&  .ssh/authorized_keys.
>>
>> yet i get the below, ...
>>

>> ssh -v -l jackc sby1.extraview.com
>> OpenSSH_5.2p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8k-fips 25 Mar 2009

>> publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password<---- !!!!!

>> No credentials cache found

>> No credentials cache found

>> debug1: Next authentication method: publickey
>> debug1: Offering public key: /home/jackc/.ssh/id_rsa
>> debug1: Server accepts key: pkalg ssh-rsa blen 277
>> Agent admitted failure to sign using the key.
>> debug1: Next authentication method: password
>> jackc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx's password:
>>
>> my naive reading of the above looks like it fulfilled
>> one authentication method, but then goes on to ask for another,
>> in this case, a password.
>>
>> my wag is that there is an /etc/pam.d config that is wrong,
>> but this isn't my strong suite and i don't want to guess/mess around.
>>
>> also, this phrase, ...
>>
>> debug1: Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more information
>> No credentials cache found
>>

> I wouldn't worry about GSS failure.  You haven't set it up.
> - From URL:
> http://www.ssh.com/support/documentation/online/ssh/adminguide/53/userauth-gssapi.html
> it explains the idea behind GSS.  I tend to think of GSS as Kerberos.
>

>> where do i find the minor code its referring to?
>>
>> any ssh guru's out there to provide  a clue?
>>

> Not sure.
>
> When it says, "Agent admitted failure to sign using the key.",
> is it referring to ssh-agent?
>
> There is a program, ssh-add, which talks to ssh-agent.
> I haven't used ssh-add or ssh-agent in a long time.
>
> Before I take us down this path which might be a wild good chase,
> I better ask are you using these?
>
> Whenever I have publickey authentication problems,
> it usually is file and directory permissions.
> You indicated you checked ~/.ssh and ~/.ssh/authorized_keys

both the client & server have the 700 for .ssh and 600 for all .ssh/*

note also that i have the same access to different hosts in our domain.
my client is fc11, but the remote hosts are centos 4 & 5.

> As a test, could you make certain your $HOME directories,
> on both the local and remote machine, are not writable by anyone,
> but owner?
>
> Could you make sure ~/.ssh on both machines is only read/write
> by owner?
>
> Could you make sure the files in ~/.ssh, such as authorized_keys,
> config, id_rsa, known_hosts, are only read/write by owner?
>
> For me, anything in ~/.ssh should only be read/write by owner.
> Call me paranoid but only owner should have access to these files.
>
> The one kicker, I'm asking you to do, is make sure both
> $HOME directories are, at most, readable, by others, and not writable.
>
> If you want someone to put files in your $HOME directory area,
> can you set up $HOME/droparea and give them read/write access
> to $HOME/droparea?

in this case i am just building a backup system for my client host to
back up to he server.
i have accts on both so i got jackc@client writing to jackc@server

Thx for you time, suggestions beyond perms?

--
Jack Craig
Software Engineer