Re: Root with GUI

On 04/15/2010 01:52 PM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> On 04/15/2010 08:24 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 7:21 AM,<hewjr1000@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>> How do I make myself root in the GUI
>>
>> Running a root GUI login is very much frowned upon. What exactly are
>> you trying to accomplish? The system-config* tools will prompt for
>> root authentication if necessary or you can su (or sudo) to root in a
>> terminal session or login as root in a virtual terminal.
>
> One scenario is when the normal users are all defined over nis/nfs, and
> the network is down, but you need to log in to fix things...
>
> To fix things in a scenario like that, I boot into runlevel 3 (by
> temporarily appending "3" to the end of the kernel line in grub), login
> as root, and run "startx" to get a gui session for root.
>
> - Mike

  I just run the required GUI application as a root user. It's a trivial
matter to create a desktop short cut that will run as a root user. IMHO
this is a better option, as it is inherently more secure. But then I
prefer to restrict root user access to only those applications that need
it. So I think the Fedora team are right to not have a GUI root login.
  This is my preference and in no way is it a criticism of any choice of
solution others may decide to adopt.

JB