Re: Root with GUI

On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 08:32 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 07:24:32 -0500
> Richard Shaw wrote:
>
> > The system-config* tools will prompt for
> > root authentication if necessary
>
> Thousands and thousands of times in a row, in fact :-).
>
> I'm still waiting for someone to point me to the web page
> documenting the actual case histories of horrible
> things that happened because a GUI app was running
> as root. (NOT the cases where people did stupid things
> in GUIs, I want the one that describes people doing
> perfectly normal safe operations who had horrible
> things go wrong simply because they were running
> a gui as root).

You mean the cases where everything works correctly? If everything
worked correctly and there were no bugs, and our systems weren't
Internet-connected, and we understood the implications of everything we
did, and we never typed or clicked on anything we didn't mean to, why
would we need the concept of root?

poc