Re: searching email with regular expressions

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 7:23 AM, Nataraj <incoming-fedora-list@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Do imap servers like dovecot have the capability to search on regular
> expressions?  What about specific email clients.

I'm not sure about dovecot, but it's not part of the IMAP standard.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-mail_clients seems to
> indicate that evolution has some type of support for regular
> expressions.  If so, I don't see how to use it.  Any ideas?  What about
> thunderbird or other email clients.

It is referring to regular expression searching of local mail, rather
than what is on the server. Unless you have some specific needs, I'd
recommend you just download all the mail and use the local searching
there. It's going to be more accurate and faster. ( I recently
implemented IMAP remote searching for a mail library, and it's
designed very poorly. You have to go into a particular folder (wait)
search (wait) download the mail (wait) and then repeat for all
folders. (And of course you can't search more than 1 folder at a time,
as you won't know which results correspond to which folder ><))