Re: acroread and links in /tmp to cups PPD's

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 11:28 +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> To be a little bit more precise, I found out that this problem with the
> links has nothing to do with acroread:

No, Ed is quite right.  It has everything to do with acroread.
Somewhere in acroread, it calls the libcups function cupsGetPPD (or one
of its variants).  This function fetches the PPD from the server and
returns the filename holding the PPD.  If the server is local this can
just be a symlink to /tmp.

The caller (acroread in this case) "owns" that file, and is responsible
for cleaning it up.

> After booting into runmode 5 and logging in into a GNOME session,
> immediately after having logged in, these two links have been created,
> and I'm sure, no acroread runs or has run.

But you are running the printing applet in that case
(system-config-printer-applet).  Once you log out, those temporary files
are cleaned up.

You'll also see the same thing when using the GTK+ print dialog.  When
the dialog is open it will create those links.  After it is done with
them it deletes them.

What you are seeing is an acroread bug, and only Adobe can fix it.

Tim.
*/