vlc streaming tantalizingly close

I suspect I'm missing something obvious / simple.
Streaming with vlc (music mp3 files) with:-
[joe@F12onOfficeDT rips]$ vlc --sout udp://192.168.0.3:1234 *

while on the other desktop the usb wireless stick flashes away seemingly
happily.
Run gui vlc - in open Network dialog box - enter Protocol UDP , Address
192.168.0.3 , and port 1234
Hit play and not much. No error messages; no indications of activity in
status boxes; no sound.

I'm afraid I'm not smart enough to know if the "problem" is vlc or some
other setting(s).

BTW vlc works fine with local stuff and online radio.

(I'm running F12 on streaming box and F11 on receiving box)

Any ideas?

TIA
Joe
--