Re: Installing Downloaded software

Henry Wyatt:
>> Need to know basics of how o install downloaded programs ie,  Mozilla
>> Firefox 3.6 and Open Office, both files end in .gz

Michael Miles:
> both those files can be installed via add/remove software in the system tab

You might want to clarify that kind of comment, to a newcomer.  It's not
those "files" that it will work with.

Mozilla and OpenOffice.org can be installed using the add/remove
software function, because there are pre-compiled packages for them in
the internet file repositories that the add/remove thingy works with.
It'll automatically download and, then, install them.  These packages
will be different from the the .gz files that you find on those
program's own websites, and probably not even the same version of the
program.

But you won't use the add/remove software thingy to install software
from a .gz archive file that you've already downloaded.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.