Re: FPL steps down: what's the real story?

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Sam Sharpe <lists.redhat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 9 April 2010 00:47, Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We know that Canonical is strong in cloud computing. Etc. But...

With all due respect, you pulled that line out of your ass and have no
data to support that. Name me one article in a respected journal that
says that Canonical or Ubuntu is strong in cloud computing compared to
other current providers.

I work in this industry and our business keeps an eye on competitors
and let me assure you, Canonical is not currently a player.

Figures are hard to get. Here's how it looks on Amazon's EC2:

http://thecloudmarket.com/stats

http://thecloudmarket.com/stats#/by_image_owner

http://thecloudmarket.com/stats#/by_platform_definition

Of course, this is no way indicative of the present global situation. Amazon is only one cloud infrastructure service... but maybe you can see a trend?

Of course, in private clouds, Ubuntu is far from being as big as Red Hat but it's making strong inroads in public clouds and they offer support for managing clouds. When companies move from public to private clouds, since they'll be used to Canonical/Ubuntu (CU) products, do you really think they'll move to Red Hat?

So, I've certainly thrown this little sentence you're commenting a little bit too fast. No doubt I should have said something like: "For a small player, Canonical/Ubuntu shows strong /growth/ in the cloud market."

As to the means CU will soon have to plan its development, see my next message.

Also see:

http://www.ubuntu.com/cloud/management