Re: Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module [FAILED]

On Friday 09 April 2010 11:22:07 am Greg Woods wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 11:14 -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > its a amd specific flag that signifies hardware virtualisation.  intels
> > is vmx so you would run "cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep vmx" if you get a
> > result you have hardware virtulaisation in your cpu.  it could still be
> > disabled in the bios.
>
> Believe me, I have already been through all this. The Pentium 4 does not
> have hardware virtualization.
>
> > what parts of it don't work?
>
> I already explained this. On the Pentium 4, which does not have hardware
> virtualization, KVM is so slow that it is unusable (it takes 10 minutes
> to boot a Windows XP VM). Therefore I use VirtualBox instead

its not using kvm since kvm requires hardware support, just plain qemu which
is slow, you could get accelerated support using kqemu from rpmfusion.  it is
there as its a kernel module.  and you should see a good performance increase.

> On the Core Duo at work, which does have hardware virtualization, KVM
> performance is good, but the VM crashes as soon as I access it in the
> morning if it is left idle overnight, and I have to reboot the VM. This
> is fine for a Windows XP VM that I use just so that I can run a couple
> of required proprietary applications at work; usually I remember to
> hibernate it before I go home, and it restores just fine. So I continue
> to use KVM on my work desktop. But this would not be acceptable in high
> availability situations, so I use Xen to run production VM servers.

fair enough,  why it locks up would be good to get fixed.  I personally have
lots of guests that are up 24/7 on a mixture of core2 duo, core2 quad and dual
dual core opteron boxes. they all use kvm and are all up 24/7 Just my
experience.