Re: ATI Mobility Radeon 5450 driver and Fedora 12 X86_64

Hi Jatin,

On Thursday 08 April 2010 09:15 PM, Jatin K wrote:
> Thank you Biswajit,
>
> I've installed the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental... but I only get the
> proper resolution it is 1366 X 768 no 3d no desktop effects. But in
> ubuntu 9.4 64bit it works like a charm (even radeon proprietor driver
> works fine with 3d and compiz HD effects ...... then why not with fedora
> ????

Using Fedora comes with a price. Fedora uses a newer release of Xorg
which the proprietary ATI drivers are incompatible with. You have to
make a choice, do you want 3D or the latest and greatest?

As I understand it, your card is the latest chipset from ATI.
mesa-dri-drivers-experimental supports 3D for chipsets up to RV 770. The
development for the open drivers are fast enough that I would expect
support for your chipset to be available within another release cycle.

I own a ATI 4870, and I was in the same boat early last year but now
every thing works. I would suggest either use the open drivers, forego
3D and wait for support or stay with F11 until ATI releases binary
drivers compatible with Fedora's Xorg version. But if 3D is too
important for you, using Ubuntu is your final option.

Hope this is clearer. Good Luck and hope you stay with Fedora. :)

--
Suvayu