Re: Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module [FAILED]

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 15:34 -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

> Im curious why you use virtualbox and not kvm/libvirt/virt-manager that are
> included by default in fedora?  Im just trying to work out what is lacking in
> the default offerings that you go to a third party.

I can't speak for the original poster, but for me, KVM is buggy, and
doesn't work at all without hardware virtualization. On my Pentium 4
dual core desktop, KVM is so slow that it's useless. VirtualBox performs
quite well.

At work I have a Core Duo desktop, and KVM performs well there but it
crashes. If I leave my VM turned on overnight, in the morning as soon as
I do a couple of things in the VM, it suddenly crashes down to the
"Guest not running" screen and I have to reboot. Xen on the other hand
runs multiple VM's rock solid.

As far as I can see, KVM is not yet ready for prime time, although
others have reported success with it. YMMV.

--Greg