Re: CUPS printer choice

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 13:40 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Currently I am trying to use an HP OfficeJet J5480,
> and CUPS offers me the choices
> --------------------------------
> HP Officejet J4500 series (CB780A)
> HP Officejet J4500 series (HP Officejet J4500 series USB #1)
> HP Officejet J4500 series (HP Officejet J4500 series USB CN89C552GR052T
> HPLIP)
> --------------------------------
> Does it make any difference which I choose?

Some.  Your best choice is probably the last of the three.

It sounds like you are using the CUPS web interface to configure the
queue.  CUPS will only show you what each backend says about the device
it has found (they are the three things you quote above), without making
any judgement about which is best.

If you use the printing configuration tool, system-config-printer, it
will use the information at its disposal to pick the best choice for
you.  In this case, the HPLIP 'hp' backend is available for an HP
printer, and you get more functionality that way at the moment -- ink
level reporting and so on.

Tim.
*/