Re: Changing host name

On 04/08/2010 05:36 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 17:38 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> Unless I'm out of my mind...that assumption would not be true.....
>>>
>>> Even if you use NM you can still use "service network restart".   When
>>> one uses NM the directories /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default
>>> and /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices are empty.  This is the case on my
>>> system.
>>>
>>> So, give it a try for yourself.
>>>

>> As further evidence for the doubting Thomas....
>>
>> egreshko@meimei networking]$ ps -eaf | grep Network
>> root      1631     1  0 Mar30 ?        00:00:00 NetworkManager
>> --pid-file=/var/run/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.pid
>> root      1640     1  0 Mar30 ?        00:00:00
>> /usr/sbin/nm-system-settings --config
>> /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf
>>
>> egreshko@meimei networking]$ sudo service network restart
>> Shutting down interface eth0:                              [  OK  ]
>> Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
>> Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
>> Bringing up interface eth0:                                [  OK  ]
>>

> I guess we are going to have to disagree. I am not saying you can't
> run : system network restart

????

You said, "One wold assumme if yo are using 'service network start' you
are not using NM".

Now, I've been known to misinterpret statements, but to me this seems to
be saying that if one uses "service network restart" then they can't be
using NM.  I took it to mean you were doubting that I was using NM.  If
that is not what you were saying...well there was no need for me to say
what I did.
> if you are running NM, just that these are different approaches to
> networking and there is not good purpose to running network if you are
> running NetworkManager and your illustration does not disprove that
> assertion.

So, we don't disagree.   There are simply 2 ways to accomplish the same
thing.   Or, at least what I want to accomplish.

And, just to reiterate, I wasn't trying to disprove anything you said.
I was only trying to prove what I said I did and to prove what my
configuration was since it was my interpretation that doubt was being
cast upon my statements.

Bottom line....  One can use "service network restart" when using NM if
one wants to.  One can also use "service NetworkManager restart".  If
anything I choose to use the former since network is 7 keystrokes and
NetworkManager 14 plus it involves the use of the shift key, and it does
what I want and what I expect of it.  I certainly hope nobody would take
issue with that.  Besides, isn't Linux all about choice?  :-)

--
God grant me the senility to accept the things I cannot change, The
frustration to try to change things I cannot affect, and the wisdom to