Re: VirtualBox crashs system when starting VM

--- On Sun, 4/4/10, Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Are you using Virtualbox or Virtualbox OSE. I am using
> Virtualbox 3.1.6
> > downloaded from Sun with Windows XP with the 2.6.32.10
> kernel. I've had
> > no problems with Virtualbox.
>
> I am using the version distributed by Fedora (so I guess
> its OSE)
> along with the precompiled kernel-modules (I am using the
> default
> kernel too) - thats why I am suprised it causes so much
> pain :/
>
> No matter what VM I start (reactos / haiku), as soon as the
> dialog
> appears telling me howto get keyboard/mouse-focus away from
> the VM my
> whole computer locks up :/

Is this your first attempt at virtualization or have you installed kvm, etc. previously?  VirtualBox's kernel modules and kvm's (and as far as I know "other" VM software) are incompatible if loaded together.  Do an 'lsmod'?  If both vbox and kvm are listed, you'll need to unload kvm to get vbox modules (there should be three) to work properly.

The vbox modules must match the kernel they are running under exactly.  So, when you upgrade to a new kernel, VB's modules must also be updated.  Have they been?

Also, VirtualBox has its own rpm repository, which I use.  Although, previously, I used the OSE version through the Fedora ones, but USB is disabled in that version, and I need USB.  So, I went to the "full" binary version when I installed F12.  It's still free for personal use.

Have you installed kernel-devel and dkms?  Do you have qt 4.4.0 and sdl 1.2.7 or higher installed?

Be sure to thoroughly read the manual and other docs.  Just doing a 'yum install' is not sufficient to get VirtualBox running properly.

   http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/End-user_documentation

This link might also help.  At the bottom of the page.  About RPM-based distros.  How to install VB's repo, etc.

   http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads