Re: eSATA removable drive

| From: John Austin <ja@xxxxxxxxxx>

| Hi
|
| I have used hotplug hard drives for some time but never used eject

What do you do to safely remove the disk?  Surely unmount and swapoff,
as applicable, but how do you tell the system that the actual drive is
going away?

That's what I use "eject" for in several cases (USB mass storage, CD,
DVD).  I figure that it should work for eSATA.  As I mentioned, I get
the message:
    eject: device "/dev/sdi" doesn't have a removable or hotpluggable flag

| Try to sort it out as root and then move on to a normal user

Good advice.  I am using root for now.

| What does mount show when the disk is plugged in?
| It should be showing /dev/sdix I believe not /dev/sdi

That is the case: x is the number of the partition.

Mount works.  The drive works.  It's the unplugging that I'm feeling
nervous about.

"Just unplugging" will surely work, but it seems wrong.  The device
driver ought to feel unhappy (perhaps only in my model of the
universe).

The drive actually has eSATA and USB ports.  When I connect via USB,
eject works fine.

| umount should be working for root but not for a normal user

Right.

Same with swapoff.

Thanks.