Re: Strange msgs from restore;

John Austin wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-04-04 at 22:46 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Sunday 04 April 2010, George R Goffe wrote:
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to copy my boot partition (and others) to a new drive with
>>> dump/restore pipes.
>>>
>>> (cd /rb.boot          ; /sbin/dump -f - /dev/sda1 | /sbin/restore -rf -)
>>>
>>> I get a bunch of messages I've never seen before; here's a sample:
>>>
>>> /sbin/restore: ./grub/ffs_stage1_5: EA set
>>> security.selinux:system_u:object_r:boot_t:s0 failed: Operation not
>>> supported
>>>
>>> I'm running with Selinux turned off now but it came out of the box
>>> (install DVD) with  Selinux turned on.
>>>
>>> Could someone help me with this problem please?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> George...
>> Dump/restore is a very poor tool to use unless the drives are identical.
>> Partition, label and format the new drive like you want it, then use rsync
>> on a partition by partition basis, bearing in mind that you can src from a
>> directory to a partition if you would like to split a busy partition into 2
>> on the new drive.
>>
>>> "It's not what you know that hurts you, It's what you know that ain't so."
>>> Wil Rogers
>>>

>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>>  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>>
>> "If you can, help others.  If you can't, at least don't hurt others."
>> -- the Dalai Lama
>
> Hi
>
> Standard F12 dump/restore has some problems which have been solved
> in latest CVS
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2964667&group_id=1306&atid=101306
>
> This now works successfully at about 1GB/minute on my machine
> dump 0f - /dev/sda7 | (cd /mnt/out; restore -rf -)
> ---------------------------------
> I have also found fsarchiver to be very useful
> Neither source nor destination are mounted in this example
> Simple ext3 root partition source reinstalled on ext4 partition
>
> The compressed root partition is 5.7GB when df shows about 15GB
> 13mins for save and 13min restore to same physical disk
>
> fsarchiver -o -j4 -z 6 savefs /tmp/fsarchive_sda7.fsa /dev/sda7
> fsarchiver restfs /tmp/fsarchive_sda7.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sda2,mkfs=ext4
>
> Edit /etc/fstab, /boot/grub2/grub.cfg ... (in this case for ext4)
>
> John

I too had similar problems. I emailed Stelian Pop (the maintainer) on 29 March
asking him whether he planned a new release of dump/restore in the near future
which would incorporate these fixes. He replied that he would probably do one in
the next few days unless some other problems showed up. Fingers crossed...

Cheers,
Terry