Re: recommend hardware firewall

On Monday 05 April 2010, Michael Miles wrote:
>On 04/04/2010 07:41 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> I have found that yes it is quite old
>>>
>>> I am about to flash the firmware to the latest befsr-v1.46.02_FW_code
>>>
>>> its a bin file and from what I understand under linux I am to use tftp
>>> to do this
>>>
>>> tftp 192.168.1.1
>>> mode binary
>>> put CODE.BIN
>>>

>>> I am just trying to figure it out before I go ahead
>>>
>>> Michael
>>
>> Please check the serial number and version of your befsr-41 on their web
>> site before doing that, I understand that stuffing too new a FW into an
>> older one will brick it.  I know of at least 3 versions of it.
>
>So I should step it up by flashing all sequential updates?

I have never done that myself.  But there are warnings, or were, on the
linksys download site, saying you can't put a version 3 image in a version 2
unit.  I wasn't trying to scare you, just make sure you did your homework.
;-)  I have one of those units, but it hasn't been plugged in in a couple of
years as I switched to DD-WRT on a clapped out k6 box with everything non-
essential stripped.  Not even a hard drive or a floppy.  It boots from a cf
card on the end of an ide cable.  I used gftp to update mine several times
though, it Just Worked(TM).  And so far, no one I didn't give the password
to has gotten to it, or any of the machines behind it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Mathematics deals exclusively with the relations of concepts
to each other without consideration of their relation to experience.
		-- Albert Einstein