Re: recommend hardware firewall

Michael Miles wrote:
> Just a quick question on this topic
>
> I have a linksys befsr41 router
> Is it better to run firewall through fedora 12 or through router or both
>
> Not having any problems just curious about protection strength
>
> Thanks
> Michael
>

> On 04/04/2010 06:13 AM, John Aldrich wrote:
>> On Sun April 4 2010, Jamie Bohr wrote:
>>
>>> Not sure of all your requirement but I use Linksys WRT-54G with
>>> DD-WRT<http://dd-wrt.com>running on it.  I picked up the Linksys off
>>> eBay about a month ago for about
>>> $45 USD.  I ran DD-WRT on a Motorola for over 4 years before it gave up
>>> and died.
>>>

>> Yeah. Go to www.dd-wrt.com and check out the list of supported routers
>> there. Then, go buy one, flash it with the aftermarket firmware and you'll be
>> good to go. Linksys is a good brand and there are several that support DD-
>> WRT.

I see no benefit to a hardware router vs. running Linux with the firewall
configured. There is a benefit to running a separate firewall machine, doing
nothing else, passing only what you want to pass, tracking things you want to
record for future use, not subject to holes in applications.

There are good, free, firewall packages you can run on a cheap machine.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>