Re: recommend hardware firewall

On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 09:13:46 -0400,
  John Aldrich <jmaldrich@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun April 4 2010, Jamie Bohr wrote:
> > Not sure of all your requirement but I use Linksys WRT-54G with
> > DD-WRT<http://dd-wrt.com>running on it.  I picked up the Linksys off
> > eBay about a month ago for about
> > $45 USD.  I ran DD-WRT on a Motorola for over 4 years before it gave up
> > and died.
> >
> Yeah. Go to www.dd-wrt.com and check out the list of supported routers
> there. Then, go buy one, flash it with the aftermarket firmware and you'll be
> good to go. Linksys is a good brand and there are several that support DD-
> WRT.

Fedora users might be more interested in supporting OpenWRT in preference
to DDWRT because they are a more open project. (OpenWRT has a nice build
system. I have used it  to build images on i686 for the MIPS processors
commonly used in inexpensive routers. It builds the appropriate cross compiler
tool for you.)

If you want to use open firmware, be aware that the open firmware for
broadcom chips doesn't support hardware encryption yet and if you need that
you will need to use proprietary firmware that isn't freely redistributable.