VirtualBox crashs system when starting VM

Hi,

Whenever I tried VirtualBox (even back in Fedora 11) it completly
locked up my machine as soon as powering up a VM.
I didn't care a lot, but now I am in trouble because I need it now and
VMware-Player refuses to install (waits forever in the
install-scripts) and VirtualBox crashes :/
I am now on Fedora-12 + updates testing, and I am using the VirtualBox
packages + kernel modules provided by Fedora/yum.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

In syslog I found this:
> vboxdrv: Warning: 2.6.31+ kernel detected. Most likely the hardware performance
> vboxdrv: counter framework which can generate NMIs is active. You have to prevent
> vboxdrv: the usage of hardware performance counters by
> vboxdrv:   echo 2 > /proc/sys/kernel/perf_counter_paranoid

However at least 2.6.32.10 doesn't seem to provide perf_counter_paranoid :(

Thank you in advance, Clemens