Re: Stable Fedora Releases

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Leslie S Satenstein
<lsatenstein@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]
> I would like to do that which I said I could do and which you suggested.
>
> I am not a yum or yumex expert (which I prefer yumex to packagekit), but I would love to put in a restriction whereby to only
> download the primary updates that are older then a specified date. (That could be today - 7days). Is there such a facility in these
> products?

I'm not certain that you'd gain much by doing this.  Say, for example,
that you limit updates to those older than two weeks and fifteen days
after a package is released, there's a new version released that fixes
a problem with the first.. You'd end up micro-managing releases.

However, I can understand your reasoning in a production environment.
Have you looked at the Spacewalk product?  It's the open version of
the RedHat Satellite server and works wonderfully for these scenarios.
You can create your own local channels then update your systems only
after becoming comfortable with the updates.

> I was also thinking about respins.  If a new person decides to try Fedora, why not point him to a (re)spin?

What's also nice about Spacewalk/Satellite is that you can point your
installation directly to an updated channel. This means that you don't
need to do a base install from original media and then update to a
known patchlevel.