Re: Login errors after network change

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> yes, I can see what you mean
>
> truth be told, for a completely static NIC, many of us 'old-timers'
> would turn off NetworkManager, turn on 'network' put 'ONBOOT=yes' in the
> configuration and be done with it.
>
> ;-)
>
> Craig

:)  It was an interesting exercise though...

My first assumption was that selinux was the culprit. A search of the
archives showed that a few people had been bitten by an selinux policy
issue. After fussing around with selinux for a while, before
eventually turning it off completely, I realized it had nothing to do
with the issue.

I agree about NetworkManager and usually turn it off straightaway.

Anyhoo, I'm leaning towards this being a bug but can be convinced
otherwise. To reproduce:
1) Boot with the Desktop Edition F12 CD.
2) Double click the Install to HD icon and accept all defaults.
3) Reboot.
4) Configure timezone and authentication to LDAP (enable caching and
local auth is sufficient).
5) Login as a regular user then su to root.
6) Launch the system-config-network tool.

If you run updates at this point, as I did, your initial reboot will
leave you at a login screen that won't work. The system will timeout
trying to access the LDAP servers.

For a newbie to Fedora this would be frustrating.