Re: F12 crash

On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 14:34 -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> --- On Tue, 3/30/10, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 21:39 -0700,
> > Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > > Since my system is a stand-alone one behind two
> > firewalls, not locally
> > > networked to any others, doesn't run any public
> > accessable servers,
> > > etc., and I'm the only user, I don't really need
> > selinux.
> >
> > And you don't use email, webpages, or otherwise cross that
> > firewall?
> >
> > Not all problems are due to some outsider making an
> > incoming connection.
>
> Sure, I do.  Every day.  But in 10 years of using various versions of Linux--the last 5 with FC3, 4, 5, 6, F9 & now 12 as my primary OS--and 20+ years total of personal computing--none Windows based, I've never been infected, hacked, etc.  And all of that is without selinux security just a firewall or two, hardware router securely set up, access permissions strictly set, never staying logged on any site any longer than is necessary, common sense at 100%, and never leaving root running all the time in a terminal for convenience like a few career admins I know.
>
> Now, I'm not saying that selinux is bad or shouldn't be used by those who need it, and, most importantly, know how to administer it.  I'm just saying that in my case, selinux over the years has been more a problem than a benefit.
----
I think the community is trying to tell you that if you don't have
sufficient skills in troubleshooting SELinux issues, the better concept
is to not offer advice as opposed to suggesting that someone turn it off
because you turn it off.

It's just another layer of security and if you have decided not to use
it on systems you manage, that's your prerogative but a rather poor
model for imitation.

Craig

believed to be clean.