Re: F12 crash

--- On Mon, 3/29/10, Nermin Celik <n.celik00@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I installed Fedora 12 x86-64 onto Hp Z800 workstation, had a problem
> with software updates so used
>
> $su -c 'yum update',
>
> problem was fixed. Installed Adobe Acrobat Reader. Downloaded few other
> programs but did not install them. Then, the screen froze. Tried
> Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart, didn't work, so reset the machine from the
> power button. Then someting very interesting happened - machine went
> into a loop mode, started, failed to boot fedora, shutdown, restarted
> by itself, failed to boot fedora, shutdown...etc about six times. Then
> I just shut the machine off. Before fedora could be loaded, the pc just
> shutdown in each case. At start tried pressing F10 but didn't work.
>
> Has anyone else experinced a similar problem?

No.  Never had anything like that happen, and I've been using Fedora as my primary OS since Core 3.

How did you "install" Acrobat Reader?  Did you use yum and the Adobe repo?  How did you download the other programs that you didn't install?  Yum?  Or did you download the rpm's directly from a non-repo site?

Really, since you just installed 12, save yourself a lot of time:  Do a clean reinstall of 12 overwriting everything.  At the first boot, before updating, disable selinux, then in the terminal of your choice: enter

  'su -'

give the root password, and do your 'yum update'.  After completing, set up the other repos that you want, and install your other apps.  The following link will help a lot:

   http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/