Log in from Root

On 03/28/2010 03:29 AM, Rajanish Kumar wrote:
> Hi!
>  I have already installed Fedora 12 .I have given root password...and
> finally added a user name "rajanish"
> .I am log in through "rajanish"but i have not accessing throgh root...I
> want to log in through root because i want to learn administrative property.
>  please help me to guide log in through root..
>
> Rajanish Kumar
> Fedora User

One way, without changing things is to use a virtual terminal (ctl-alt-f1 through ctl-alt-f6)
You are at the command line level.

another way is with the sudo command

cd /etc/
sudo vi sudoers
look at the line with root
add your logon id beneath it or at the tail end of the file
exit after saving

Respond to password request
sudo su
password

or sudo su -
password:

There is a third way, and that is to change some /etc/pam.d/gdm*  files. That will allow you to log into gnome as root.  The advantage here is that you can make good use of the GUI interface (example, drag and drop,  cut and paste, etc.)

Regards

 Leslie
Mr. Leslie Satenstein

mailto:lsatenstein@xxxxxxxxx