Re: yum bug, or?

On Monday 29 March 2010 08:34:58 Ed Greshko wrote:
> A previous post prompted me to try removing various language groups via
> yum.  I was surprised when this happened after doing yum groupremove
> "Tajik Support"....

[snip complete openoffice suite]

Well of course, Tajik Support is completely crucial for any core Linux
functionality, didn't you know? :-D

Seriously, the culprit is here is dejavu-sans-fonts, it seems. From the yum
dependency resolution,

--> Processing Dependency: dejavu-sans-fonts for package: 1:openoffice.org-
core-3.1.1-19.28.fc12.x86_64

so anything openoffice* depends on it. However, the same package is listed under
"mandatory" section in yum groupinfo "Tajik Support":

Group: Tajik Support
 Mandatory Packages:
   dejavu-sans-fonts
 Default Packages:
   dejavu-sans-mono-fonts
   dejavu-serif-fonts
 Conditional Packages:
   kde-l10n-Tajik

I don't know what "mandatory" means in this context, but I guess when you try
to remove the whole group, yum tries to remove the dejavu fonts as well,
creating a cascade.

> This deserves a bugzilla....but I wonder what component would be best to
> file it under.  Does anyone know for sure?

I would guess that the "Tajik Support" group is the culprit here, but I'm not
sure this is actually a bug. While not being certain how the concept of a
"group" actually works, my guess is that if you want to remove the *whole*
group, it removes the *whole* group.

Maybe someone can explain how to remove the group without removing all of it's
packages?

Actually, I've been wondering even before about this --- if I yum groupinstall
some group, then remove some individual package which is a part of that group,
does that mean that the group is still installed or not? It is unclear to me
what criterion defines that a group is installed, since one can have only some
of its packages installed. Fuzzy.

As a workaround, I guess yum groupremove "Tajik Support" followed by yum
install openoffice* would not drag in the complete Tajik support again, but just
the dejavu-sans-fonts package which is needed.

Best, :-)
Marko