Re: log in through root

On Sun, 2010-03-28 at 20:26 +0100, agraham wrote:
> On 28/03/10 09:29, Rajanish Kumar wrote:
> > Hi!
> >   I have already installed Fedora 12 .I have given root password...and
> > finally added a user name "rajanish"
> > .I am log in through "rajanish"but i have not accessing throgh root...I want
> > to log in through root because i want to learn administrative property.
> >   please help me to guide log in through root..
> >
> > Rajanish Kumar
> > Fedora User
> >

> At the login prompt (or your graphical login program - gdm, kdm etc)
> use the username "root" and password that you set when installing Fedora.
----
already noted by others, this doesn't work by intent. There actually are
sufficient reasons for not logging into a gui as root.
----

> Please ignore all those that present horror stories and FUD about root,
> you have to learn somehow and the best way is to mess around as root.
----
just wow.

Think about it... if the OS has already configured it to prevent you
from doing so, they probably did it for good reasons unless you think
the Fedora packagers are the purveyors of FUD.

It's easy to get a superuser shell... just type 'su -' and provide
root's password.

But to run everything as root - i.e. a web browser, e-mail, etc. makes
everything on your box susceptible to malicious code wherever you
encounter it. While the first user created on a Macintosh or Windows new
installation will automatically be a 'superuser', those OS's have sought
to implement UAC to try to blunt the effects of a 'superuser'
unknowingly running malicious code. Linux philosophy tends to center on
an only what is needed, limited permissions model and thus the first
user is never a 'superuser' but sufficient tools exist to elevate ones'
privileges when needed.
----
> Unlike a normal user, your path with will include /sbin so you won't
> need to prepend root commands with a path e.g. /sbin/ifconfig.
>
> And if you happen to do something like  "rm -rf /", just re-install and
> start-over, I'm sure you'll learn from your mistakes like we all did.
----
Executing 'rm -rf /' is simply a command shell command and that level of
stupidity surely doesn't require login as root.

Craig

believed to be clean.