Re: Rolling Release Model(s), Fedora Discussion

Robin Laing wrote:
> On 03/15/2010 02:33 PM, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>> Dear fellow Fedora users,
>>
>> At distrowatch there is some discussion whether Fedora would become a
>> "Rolling Release" like Arch.  See:
>>
>> http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100315
>>
>> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8716234495.html
>>
>> Also Fedora has this page:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Stable_release_updates_vision
>>
>> There are many great ideas over there, maybe just maybe these changes
>> will make a bigger difference?
>>
>> I like the Fedora version that never quits, never dies^{1}, but not
>> everyone goes that route.  Cheers!
>>
>> Would Fedora users accept a rolling release model?  IT would be nice
>> to setup an internet poll to see what many Fedora users have to say?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Antonio
>>
>> {1}  Fedora Rawhide, it has become a distribution on its own, or so
>> some say at Distrowatch.  Fedora 13 Branched, Fedora 11 Updates,
>> Fedora 12 Updates, there are many updates
>>

> I would like the option to rolling release or upgrade.  I say this
> because of my family.  My wife is not with the install and I have to
> think of her.  My daughter installed F12 herself on a new laptop.
>
> My wife was running FC7 until I re-installed to F12 but moving to 12 I
> would rather she be able to use a rolling update.

I know people who just do an update out of cron every night, and don't worry.
I've had enough bad things come out of updates that I'm not happy doing that
myself. I actually do that on RHEL machines, there's better QA on those releases.

> My desktop is still F11 due to time needed to upgrade is not happening.

Mine too, but due to having a lot of machines which don't work with the improved
video drivers in FC12 (or maybe the Xorg, video is chasing 3D, not still works
with hardware that worked in FC11).

> I have seen our IT staff upgrade Ubuntu machines with a basic click and
> wait.  I have upgraded from F10 to F11 with minor issue.
>
> I guess what I am saying is there needs to be a way for the new user to
> keep their machine updated without all the headaches.  This is why some
> will stick with Windows.  Only needs to be re-installed every year.  :)
>   And you have to pay for any upgrades.

Unless you really need something in Fedora, I would smile and run CentOS. Wait
for RHEL6 and maybe a month after that. Then it should be good to go.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>