Re: Evolution and GPG signing?

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 4:36 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 01:54 +1030, Tim wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 08:27 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> > possibly somewhere along the line the HTML is being reflowed or in
>> > some way modified, which would destroy the signature. I can't really
>> > see how that could happen
>>
>> We've seen plenty of plain text message parts being transcoded in
>> transit by some allegedly "helpful" mail server (turning quoted
>> printable into 8-bit, etc.).  I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised
>> at a mail server doing the same sort of thing to text/html content.
>
> Quite, but the OP says it all works properly if he sticks to TB. Even
> allowing for the difference between inline PGP and PGP/MIME, it would
> seem particularly perverse of the intermediate server to mess with one
> and not the other. But I guess stranger things have happened ...

Well guys, the mystery has resolved itself with the only action by me
being an update at the TB end - before doing the tests that were
suggested I updated my version of TB - to Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux
i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.2pre) Gecko/20100323 Lightning/1.0b2pre
Lanikai/3.1b2pre - whereas I had been running earlier versions of TB
3.1b2pre for quite some time and indeed prior to that 3.1a - until
today I was using a version from a few days ago and the problem was
still present until that version. At the same time I updated the
enigmail and lightning extensions to the most recent.  However with
the new version I can now send from Evolution and I get correct
signature verification for HTML mail, both with a straight simple sent
message, and also if replying leaving the quoted text from the
original. So now I get full and correct signature verification both
ways.

So the bug was within Thunderbird - I don't know how long this bug has
been there but I seem to remember an issue with this going quite some
time back - so whether it is in the handling of received mail by
Thunderbird itself or whether the enigmail extension was the problem I
don't know - but I do know that this is now working!

So maybe the TB/enigmail developers were monitoring this thread! ( I
presume that normal updates to F12 this morning would not have made
any significant changes that would have any impact on this issue)

Either way I am very pleased this is resolved in the new version....

--
mike c