Re: Rolling Release Model(s), Fedora Discussion

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Dear fellow Fedora users,
>
> At distrowatch there is some discussion whether Fedora would become a "Rolling Release" like Arch.  See:
>
> http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100315
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8716234495.html
>
> Also Fedora has this page:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Stable_release_updates_vision
>
> There are many great ideas over there, maybe just maybe these changes will make a bigger difference?
>
> I like the Fedora version that never quits, never dies^{1}, but not everyone goes that route.  Cheers!
>
> Would Fedora users accept a rolling release model?  IT would be nice to setup an internet poll to see what many Fedora users have to say?
>
> Regards,
>
> Antonio
>
> {1}  Fedora Rawhide, it has become a distribution on its own, or so some say at Distrowatch.  Fedora 13 Branched, Fedora 11 Updates, Fedora 12 Updates, there are many updates

The problem with rolling releases is that in some cases you have to update
everything anyway. A kernel update is pretty contained, but library changes can
hit many packages, and if an attempt is made to slide it in using two libraries,
disk space problems can happen. Some application changes need major changes in
support scripts, and a change in Xorg version requires tons of changes.

It causes less trouble to do some major part upgrades as a piece, rather than
rolling, and even if an upgrade "works" (as in still functions), often there is
a bunch of left over stuff not cleaned up, and suboptimal configurations for
other things.

I think the balance is pretty good, although clearly if had more input certain
bugs would be fixed sooner.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>