Re: Hibernate and OpenVPN

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Hibernate works fine for me -
> I only ever re-boot to see how Windows is getting on! -
> but I notice that I always lose connection
> to machines I link to with OpenVPN
> when coming out of hibernation.
>
> This doesn't really worry me,
> but I just wondered if it is caused by my failure
> to include some package?
>
> I should say that I am running Fedora-12/KDE.

My experience is that resume in Fedora simply doesn't work for network
connections, because the logic is ass backwards. The VPN or NFS connections
*seem* to be tried before the network connections are restored. If I have a an
NFS "soft" mount, I can take the server down, put it in my car, drive it to the
new data center, and install it, and the mount survives. Let me hibernate long
enough to walk from an office to a meeting room and everything is dropped.

This amuses people using Windows.

I don't have the problem with the new 2.6.32 FC12 kernel, it never wakes from
suspend or hibernate on any of my laptops. 2.6.33-ck1 works flawlessly, but
still drops the network mounts.

I suggested using automount to a client, he says it works, but I haven't used it
myself. Wouldn't help your VPN case, though.

Tuxonice may well solve the network problem, if not tell Nigel, stuff there gets
fixed. Wish there were an rc.resume file, users could fix stuff like this.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>