Re: Restarting pulseaudio? -

On Monday 22 March 2010 15:36:26 Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 22/03/10 10:38, NoSpaze wrote:
> > Am Montag, den 22.03.2010, 10:01 -0400 schrieb Bob Goodwin:
> >> How can I restart pulseaudio after killing it?
> >
> > Please, notice this works as a non-root user:
> >
> > Killing pulseaudio:
> >
> > $ pulseaudio -k
> >
> > Starting pulseaudio daemon:
> >
> > $ pulseaudio -D
>
> [bobg@box6 ~]$ pulseaudio -D
> E: main.c: Daemon startup failed.

The above advice *should* work. There is something wrong with your setup, and
I would bet on that qtel app being broken or misconfigured or...

> [root@box6 bobg]# pulseaudio -D
> W: main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless
> --system is specified).

You don't want to start pulseaudio as root. Ever.

> [root@box6 bobg]# pulseaudio -D --system

And this is also discouraged, unless you *really* know what you're doing. You
don't want that either.

> I finally gave up and rebooted but there has to be a better way?
>
> I am having a problem with my µprocessor usage going to 100% and not
> recovering until I kill pulseaudio. That's how I got into this problem
> and it may be due to another program "Qtel" that requires audio and is
> running when the problem arises.

How about killing qtel, then killing pulseaudio, then starting pulseaudio, and
finally starting qtel, in that particular order? Would that recover pulseaudio
and cpu usage? (N.B. You should *not* need to be root for any of this, regular
user privileges should suffice.)

HTH, :-)
Marko