Re: chainloader +1, again

Do what thou wilt
shall  be the whole  of the Law.

On 3/21/10, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> I started an install of f12 on what is  /dev/sdb here, after using gparted
> to set it up, and figured out a way to get around the disk config in
> anaconda.
>
> I answered a few questions, and it looked as if it was headed off to do it
> all by itself, so I toddled off to do a bit of walnut machining for several
> hours.
>
> On return, I had a hell of a time getting my monitor to unblank,

darn power-saving technique scares me when it happens. :)
<space bar> , mouse moving didn't work?

so I guess
> this BS with the ATI driver, radeon, has finally gotten to the ccfl lamp in
> my monitor, and its just about 18 months old.
>
> However, when I tried to use the exit button in that cd's simple gui, there
> was no response until I right clicked on the screen, but since it was
> running
> from the cd, it would not eject at any point during the reboot, and I
> finally
> killed the power for the 2nd time and managed to grab it in the 2 seconds
> between getting it to eject, and the bios sucking it back in. I expected it
> to boot F12, but there was no sign of F12 in the grub menu.  Just my
> regular menu.

and no first-boot screen? you might have an incomplete install...
however...

> So I booted normally to F10 & kernel 2.6.34-rc2, and I have now tried to add
> a chainloader stanza to my grub.conf here on /dev/sda1 that will cause it to
> reload grub from /dev/sdb1.

instead of chaining, you could try:
making a copy of your F10 stanza,
and editing its fields to point to the paths/files on sdb.

> Is anything missing?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>
> I do desire we may be better strangers.
> 		-- William Shakespeare, "As You Like It"
> --

Love is the law, love under will.

charles zeitler