Printer brings system to a crawl

I have an All in One Canon PIXMA MP190 printer, that attaches via USB.
There isn't a driver for this one, so I have used both the mp180 and
mp220 drivers (one below and one above the 190).  It doesn't seem to
matter which driver I use, but when the printer starts doing anything,
printing or even just resetting itself or whatever, my desktop is
unusable.  I can't even move the mouse hardly at all while it's doing
it's thing.

Is this a printer thing, a Canon thing, and/or USB thing?  If others
tell me they have certain brand printers that work and don't have this
problem, only include them if they are basic printers, sort of all in
one, and under $100.

Soo, anyone have ideas?

--
Mike Chambers