Re: Sorbet on Fedora's future

Do what thou wilt
shall  be the whole  of the Law.

i'd like to make a few points:

see:http://www.openfirmware.info/Welcome_to_OpenBIOS

> not breaking stable releases is the most
> fundamental Fedora rule, as expressed here in the Stable release
> update vision:
>
> This, and more very important stuff, under "Vision Statement" at this URL:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Stable_release_updates_vision

see:https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Project_Wiki  "What's The
Fedora Project?"
/* "stable release" seems be be a recent development */

> It's very strange, but it seems that open-source developers like to
> pay their bills just like anybody. As more and more major companies
> are entering the "open-source market", Nokia and Intel, for example,
> who's going to be left developing open-source for nothing in project
> that more and more will look rather futile, compared to mainstream?
>
> Because, believe it or not, open source is now becoming mainstream, As
> I explained here:
>
> (1) Please don't bring forward this nonsense about their contribution
> to WebKit. WebKit was a fork from KHTML, a GPLed project. So the code
> had to be opened. and whatever contribution Darwin makes to the open
> source community pretty much amount to a drop of water in the sea.
>

> At 19 years old. Linux is certainly not a new kid on the block
> anymore. How come, even with Ubuntu, it is still howering at around 1%
> of the market share? How come all the brawlers who invade Linux
> groups/forums/lists are still allowed to bash new users pretending
> that market share is not important in order to be accepted in
> standards definition, that they'll still be surfing the net with Lynx
> ten years from now?
>

> Can't anybody notice that traditional little budget open-source is
> right in the middle of the track where the large corporations'
> open-source is riding full steam head?
>

> IMO, Fedora releases will have to become much more stable and urgency
> to get more market share will have to be established as a clear
> priority. Very F-A-S-T. The Stable release update vision should be
> followed "à la lettre".

1) "market share" is not as important as what you do to get it.
2) "open source" is not the same as free software.
see:http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Love is the law, love under will.

charles zeitler