Re: What is IP Address ::1 ?

On 3/17/10 7:03 PM, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> Fetchmail produced a number of errors like:
>          connection to localhost:smtp [::1/25] failed: Connection
>          refused.
> These appeared to be caused by this /etc/hosts file:
>          127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
>          ::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6
> which has two possible resolutions for localhost, one of which, namely "::1",
> isn't recognized.  I attempted to fix things by eliminating the "::1"
> line, to produce the hosts file:
>          127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
> But using this file causes mounts on /media to fail (in my case a
> detachable hard drive and a camera).
> Both problems are cured with this hosts file:
>          127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
>          ::1         localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6
>
> All this seems related to IPV6 configuration, but how isn't clear to me.
> Can anyone elucidate?  Should I file a bug against the
> original /etc/hosts ?

In explanation, "::1" is the IPV6 equivalent of the IPV4 "127.0.0.1".  There is nothing
inherently wrong with having two IPs for a given host name (often done in DNS for "DNS
round robin load balancing"), although it's not often done mixing IPV4 and IPV6.

As to why stuff on /mount would fail, that should have nothing to do with networking,
unless the mounts are NFS or Samba mounts.