From when on is IPv6 address information available on an interface?

Hi listers
I have activated an IPv6 router in the local network. Every host has, as
expectect, grabbed the prefix and constructed its own Link local, Site
local (if requested), and Global addresses. Problem is: from when on is
IPv6 adress information available for a certain interface?

I have a laptop which I normally use via Ethernet (interface eth0). But
at times, I use it via wlan0. As I have installed a test enironment for
two Web applications on the laptop, I need to dynamically change the DNS
for these applications, depending on which IP address (IPv4 as well as
IPv6) the laptop is on. I had developped a script, which automatically
changes DNS for the laptop, when I restart the network on the laptop
(/etc/init.d/network restart). The IPv4 address for the laptop comes in
via DHCP, IPv6 address comes in via neighbor and router solicitation.
After DHCP and neigbor/router solicitation, the script to update the
dynamic DNS asks for the actual IPv4 address, which is readily available
at that point in time. Then it asks also for the IPv6 address, and gets
the empty string. A snippet of the output of this DNS update script when
used with wlan0 follows:

Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth0:
Determining IP information for eth0... failed; no link present.  Check
cable?
                                                            [FAILED]
Bringing up interface wlan0:
Determining IP information for wlan0...++ ip -o -f inet6 addr show dev
wlan0 scope site
+ ad=
++ echo
++ /usr/local/scripts/extract-field.pl '' 4
+ ax=
++ echo
++ cut -d/ -f1
+ ay=
+ echo
server ns.mydomain.com
update delete dick.dyn.lan A
update delete dick.dyn.lan AAAA
update add dick.dyn.lan 86400 A 192.168.97.20
update add dick.dyn.lan 86400 AAAA
update delete bg.dyn.lan CNAME
update add bg.dyn.lan 86400 CNAME dick.dyn.lan
update delete auth.dyn.lan CNAME
update add auth.dyn.lan 86400 CNAME dick.dyn.lan
send
Creating key...

As you can see from the DNS update command list, the IPv4 address is
present, whereas the IPv6 address is empty. The IPv6 address is asked
for via the command
ip -o -f inet6 addr show dev wlan0 scope site
which returns an empty string.

When, after this procedure, I recall the DNS update script manually,
everything works fine including the IPv6 address.

Has anybody had similar troubles when asking for IPv6 address data from
an interface?

Thanks in advance for any hint.

suomi