Re: Sandisk USB stick with U3

On 03/14/2010 03:30 PM, Dale Dellutri wrote:
On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 5:37 AM, Mick M. <off_by_1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello;
 I had a friend come over with a USB stick.
I had put Mint linux on his laptop, and now he could not write to the stick.

I realized it was a Sandisk with their stupid U3.exe stuff on it.
I went through this last year and used a Windows program to remove the U3 stuff and reformat it.

Is there any way to do this in Linux?

I remember I used fdisk to make it ext2, and formatted it.
It still would not work.

You could use parted <device>, where <device> is probably /dev/sdb

Remove all the partitions, then re-create one as FAT32 if you want to be able
to read it with a windows system, otherwise ext2.

I just did this with a USB flashdrive that had an extra software partition.

--
Dale Dellutri

I have a sandisk USB stick with the U3 stuff on it and I have no problem reading and writing to the USB stick under F12.  I plug the USB stick in, it shows up on my desktop and up pops the file browser window and i can copy to/from it just fine.  I have the ntfs-3g and fuse packages installed and it all works.

Paolo