Re: sort question

Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> jack craig wrote:
>> On 03/09/2010 04:32 PM, adrian kok wrote:
>>> I have file as below
>>>
>>> 192.168.0.4      switch
>>> 192.168.0.47    server
>>> 192.168.0.43    printer
>>> 192.168.0.218  fax
>>> 192.168.0.205  monitor
>>>
>>> How can I use sort to
>>>
>>> 192.168.0.4   switch
>>> 192.168.0.43  printer
>>> 192.168.0.47  server
>>>
>> sort -nr < file1 > file2
>>
>> doesnt work?
>
> sort -t. -k 1,1n -k 2,2n -k 3,3n -k 4,4n

It's because the implementation of sort only applies -n to one field. So it has
to be restated for each field, as above. I would think this is a bug, I swear I
used to sort IP addresses without all this effort using the old SysV sort
command. In any case, this is the sort we have, it doesn't handle numeric sort
with -n or -g very well, but we live with it.

If I think of it I'll test the bsd sort the next time I'm on one one.

Demo case:
  sort -n <<ABC
  10 10
  10 4
  4 10
  10 4
  y 10
  x 10
  y 4
  x 4
  ABC

Only the first field is evaluated numerically.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>