Re: lzma compression on official isos vs Deltaisos

On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 20:35 -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> The rpms are xz compressed but the isos are not.  That is what I am
> asking, or is it too much compression?  When is so much too much?

Generally speaking, trying to compress something that's already
compressed doesn't gain you anything.  Often, things will get bigger
(e.g. new archive headers will be added to the file), and you're just
creating more decompressing work to be done.

The same applies whether trying to recompress the same file twice,
directly.  Or, trying to compress something else containing them (the
ISO with compressed files).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686