Re: flash on www.nbc.com

--- On Mon, 3/8/10, Temlakos <temlakos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 03/08/2010 06:59 PM, Patrick
> Bartek wrote:
> > --- On Mon, 3/8/10, Temlakos<temlakos@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

> won't play
> >>>>
> >> on

> play fine,
> >>>>
> >> and so

> at all.

> do those
> >>>>
> >> videos

> work fine here in
> >>>
> >> Firefox 3.5.8 and Flash 10.0 R45 all 64-bit.
> No
> >> special configurations.  Basically, a stock
> install of
> >> F12.

> And what
> >>>
> >> OS?

> >> Flash-plugin version 10.0.45.2
> >>
> >> 32-bit architecture (i686)
> >>
> >> Fedora 12, with KDE
> >>
> >> Firefox Version 3.5
> >>
> >> In this setup, YouTube works. Foxnews does not.
> >>
> > I'm using GNOME.  For years, I had recurring
> problems playing Flash (and other multimedia files) through
> any browser, but Firefox was the most problematical.
> Some sites worked fine; others wouldn't work at all; some
> would work, but with frequent crashes or freezes or
> stuttering requiring reloading/restarting the browser.
> To make a long story short, using yum, I completely
> uninstalled Totem and all its related files, installed
> mplayer-plugin (and its dependencies), and that cured 98% of
> the multimedia problems.  Sites that wouldn't work, now
> did. Flash was installed manually per Adobe's directions.
> >
> > Maybe, there are some KDE plugins, etc. that Foxnews
> doesn't like or can't recognize and stops.  What
> plugins do you have installed?

> I have a bunch of Totem and Totem-compatible plugins,
> including one for
> Windows Media.
>
> So you used mplayer-plugin as a replacement. Maybe I can do
> that--so
> long as I don't have to get rid of VLC.

I initially tried VLC as a plugin (and stand-alone player) with and without Totem, but decided to uninstall it before installing mplayer.  Since mplayer and its browser plugin worked to my satisfaction, I never bothered reinstalling VLC.  My video and multimedia requirements are very basic anyway. So, I didn't need anything more sophisticated than mplayer.

I doubt if VLC will cause problems, if installed along with mplayer, as long as everything is configured properly.  Try.  You can always uninstall one or the other, if there are conflicts.