Re: flash on www.nbc.com

--- On Mon, 3/8/10, Temlakos <temlakos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Has this anything to do with why videos won't play
> on
> >> foxnews.com when I
> >> browse them in Firefox?
> >>
> >> YouTube and other shared-service videos play fine,
> and so
> >> do the videos
> >> that I embed. But foxnews.com won't play at all.
> >>
> >> Do I need a plugin to get it to work? Or do those
> videos
> >> not play nice
> >> with flashplayer?
> >>
> > Both (Foxnews&  YouTube) work fine here in
> Firefox 3.5.8 and Flash 10.0 R45 all 64-bit.  No
> special configurations.  Basically, a stock install of
> F12.
> >
> > What version flash player do you have?  And what
> OS?

> Flash-plugin version 10.0.45.2
>
> 32-bit architecture (i686)
>
> Fedora 12, with KDE
>
> Firefox Version 3.5
>
> In this setup, YouTube works. Foxnews does not.

I'm using GNOME.  For years, I had recurring problems playing Flash (and other multimedia files) through any browser, but Firefox was the most problematical.  Some sites worked fine; others wouldn't work at all; some would work, but with frequent crashes or freezes or stuttering requiring reloading/restarting the browser.  To make a long story short, using yum, I completely uninstalled Totem and all its related files, installed mplayer-plugin (and its dependencies), and that cured 98% of the multimedia problems.  Sites that wouldn't work, now did. Flash was installed manually per Adobe's directions.

Maybe, there are some KDE plugins, etc. that Foxnews doesn't like or can't recognize and stops.  What plugins do you have installed?