Re: Fedora 12: Cannot boot with kernel-2.6.32.9-67.fc12.x86_64

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 09:19 -0600, John Thompson wrote:
> On 03/08/2010 03:32 AM, Fred Williams wrote:
>
> >     If all I need to do is try running without the proprietary NVidia
> >     driver,
> >     please let me know specifically how to disable that driver the easiest
> >     possible way. �Translation: so that I can just boot back into an older
> >     kernel and continue using the proprietary NVidia driver if I decide
> >     to do that.
>
> In your /etc/X11/xorg.conf you need to change the driver from "nvidia"
> (the proprietary driver) to "nv" (the open source driver).
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier     "Device0"
>     Driver         "nvidia"      #  <===== THIS LINE
>     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
>     BoardName      "GeForce 6600 GT"
>     Option         "AccelMethod" "XAA" # not EXA
>
> BTW, what I do when I update the kernel is first boot into runlevel 3,
> then build the proprietary driver modules, and then change to runlevel 5.
>
> --
>
> -John (john@xxxxxxxxxxx)

When I upgraded to Fedora 12,

I had an error, to the effect, hardware was already in use.
I found the "nouveau" driver had the hardware.
My xorg.conf file was using the "nv" driver.
Not thinking, I changed from the "nv" driver to the "nouveau" driver.

Searching the Internet, for the words, blacklist nouveau,
I found the following comment at URL:

The summary of the comment was, if you use the rpmfusion repository,
for the nvidia module, it will automatically blacklist nouveau?

If I do an Internet, search for the words, blacklist nouveau nv,
I find indications some people, not sure who, claimed the nouveau
driver has passed up the nv driver, and has been made the default.

Questions please:
1) Are there 3 drivers, nvidia, nv, nouveau?
2) If there are 3 drivers, how did people decide which driver to use?
   My questions on this subject, are as follows:
   a) Is the nouveau driver now considered better than the nv driver?
      If the nouveau driver is considered better, I am curious why?
   b) Is it true the nvidia driver is faster than the nouveau driver?
      I wanted to use the "free" driver, if possible, so I was using nv.
      I switched to nouveau because that seemed to be the new default.
      I am wondering what I am giving up not using the nvidia driver.

-Rick