Re: Changing the DHCP address of a machine on my Local LAN

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 15:22 -0600, Mikkel wrote:
>> On 03/06/2010 03:06 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>> I am not using my neighbors wireless. The machine is hard-wired to the
>>> router but does not use the router as a DHCP server. It did until this
>>> morning but now it does not. How does one change that behavior?
>>>
>> Check the configuration of the router. You can also try to reset the
>> router. Outside of giving the machine a static IP address, there is
>> not much you can do on the machine. This is NOT a problem with the
>> Linux machine - it is a router problem.
>>
>> If you want to know why this is a router problem, find some good
>> documentation on how DHCP works. The machine making the request
>> responds to the first DHCP server that replies...
>>
>> Mikkel
>
> I agree with your analysis of the problem. But that leaves us with the
> following mystery.. There are 4 machines on the LAN. Why does only the
> one get a response from the providers DHCP server first? Also why this
> only occurred this morning after using the routers DHCP server for 6
> months?

The obvious answer is that one machine is different in some way than the others.
The backup guess would be that the DSL router is crap, doesn't reuse IP's, and
after a period of time ran out. I bet the first.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>