Re: My contribution (only the Knode issue)

Les wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-03-07 at 08:45 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Les wrote:
>>
>>> Do you know that the car has a differential or what that does?  The car
>>> would not work without it, but it is not part of the knowledge you need
>>> to drive the car.  But you do need to realize that the wheels rotate one
>>> way on one side and the opposite on the other and that they run at
>>> slightly different speeds, if you are going to race.  That small bit of
>>> knowledge along with other similar bits would make you the exception on
>>> the course and give you an advantage.  It is the same with computers.
>>>

>> I hate to mention this...but I wouldn't want to have you as my
>> mechanic.  :-)
>>
>> The wheels of a car *do not* rotate one way on one side and the opposite
>> on the other.  You have simply changed your frame of reference.   Roll a
>> bicycle forward.  Standing on one side of the bike, the wheels are
>> rotating clockwise.  Stand on the other, they are rotating counterclockwise.
>>
>> A car would work without a differential in much the same way a wagon or
>> cart would.  However, when cornering the tires would need to rotate at
>> different speeds.  This would tend to cause slipping on one side and
>> dragging on the other and lead to control problems as well as damage to
>> the tires.
>>

> You are both right and missing the point.  If you take the wheel off one
> side of a car and put it on the other, its direction of rotation
> changes, because it is mounted to a rim that will only go on with same
> side against the hub.  Thus I can say that the wheels do indeed rotate
> one way on one side and the opposite on the other.  You said it
> yourself, clockwise on one side and counter clockwise on the other.  It
> is an engineering function.  And it is not just cornering where the
> wheels rotate at different speeds, but all the time.  Tires wear, so
> even if they started out measured to microscopic tolerance, over time
> they would be different diameters.  This means the wheels rotate at
> different speeds even going down a straight road.  Cart wheels actually
> rotated independently of the axel for this very reason.  Look at the old
> wagons, or even roman chariots, the axel is a bar, but each wheel
> rotates on a bearing on that axel.  Some basic vehicles use a solid axel
> and just put up with the stress on the axel and wear of the wheels, but
> most alleviate it in some way.
>
> 	And I would not want to be your mechanic.

Either you forgot to put in the smiley face at the end or you really are
a grumpy old man....or maybe that is Gene.  :-)

Of course I am correct...and of course you are.  It is all a matter of
frame of reference, which you didn't establish.  Why the heck do you
think I put in the part about clockwise and counterclockwise?  In an
earlier message I wrote that I didn't have a sight problem...but missed
the *obvious* from time to time.  Looks as if I'm not the only one.  :-)
:-) :-)

From time to time this list gets less and less fun as people seem to
take themselves too seriously.

And to think my objective was only steer away from a ridiculous
"conversation" into what I though was a relatively benign one.   Nice to
see I was proven wrong yet again.  :-) :-)