Re: My contribution (only the Knode issue) [OT]

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 06 March 2010, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Les wrote:
>>
>>> Do you know that the car has a differential or what that does?  The car
>>> would not work without it, but it is not part of the knowledge you need
>>> to drive the car.  But you do need to realize that the wheels rotate one
>>> way on one side and the opposite on the other and that they run at
>>> slightly different speeds, if you are going to race.  That small bit of
>>> knowledge along with other similar bits would make you the exception on
>>> the course and give you an advantage.  It is the same with computers.
>>>
>> I hate to mention this...but I wouldn't want to have you as my
>> mechanic.  :-)
>>
>> The wheels of a car *do not* rotate one way on one side and the opposite
>> on the other.  You have simply changed your frame of reference.   Roll a
>> bicycle forward.  Standing on one side of the bike, the wheels are
>> rotating clockwise.  Stand on the other, they are rotating
>> counterclockwise.
>>
>> A car would work without a differential in much the same way a wagon or
>> cart would.  However, when cornering the tires would need to rotate at
>> different speeds.  This would tend to cause slipping on one side and
>> dragging on the other and lead to control problems as well as damage to
>> the tires.
>>

> Differentials are optional in real racing.  And get less and less important
> to the vehicles handling as the speeds increase and the corners tighten.
> In oval dirt track racing, a welded diff is usually good for at least a 3
> second quicker lap.

You'd better tell that to the folks at McLaren or the folks at Xilinx

http://www.iloveindia.com/cars/sports-cars/mclaren-f1.html
has them using a LSD and I don't think it is "acid".

and
http://me.queensu.ca/courses/MECH452/readings/documents/reference13.pdf

seems even more complex....

--
There is brutality and there is honesty. There is no such thing as
brutal honesty.